1997-09-15 - Re: The problem of playing politics with our constitutional rights

Header Data

From: Lizard <lizard@dnai.com>
To: sameer <fnorky@geocities.com (Douglas L. Peterson)
Message Hash: ac96ec6acfbc5d8b4d8175fabc7d6a9c9d89e92a315ecf57e55bd794f8b148ec
Message ID: <3.0.1.32.19970915104030.00b06e90@dnai.com>
Reply To: <3420afc6.108774731@mail.geocities.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-09-15 18:02:39 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 02:02:39 +0800

Raw message

From: Lizard <lizard@dnai.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 02:02:39 +0800
To: sameer <fnorky@geocities.com (Douglas L. Peterson)
Subject: Re: The problem of playing politics with our constitutional rights

At 10:09 AM 9/15/97 -0700, sameer wrote:

>> Writing the code is no longer enough.  The code must be usable by the
>> sheeple to work.  How do we do that?
>
>	Sell code.

Marketing.

It's not enough to have a great product -- you must also have great
marketing. In the case of memewar, you need to get people to want to use
something, enough to change their habits, even slightly. The less they need
to change, relative to the benefit they get, the better.

PGP/Eudora is a wonderful example of this. All that is needed to use it is
one extra step (after install) -- typing your passphrase to sign a message
before it is sent. Otherwise, it works the same as it always has. As a side
effect, you can right-click to encrypt any file you can see in Explorer.
Simple, quick, and usable even by the brain-dead, once you've convinced
them TO use it. (And I forgot to bring my key file to work, so my Eudora
here is useless for those purposes. Bother.)

Thread