1997-09-04 - Re: FBI calls for mandatory key escrow; Denning on export ctrls

Header Data

From: TruthMonger <tm@dev.null>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: bda19b98341b670fc0d8777a72fa6da06d410c4b49d0ae91624bdbb4387f8810
Message ID: <340DFD85.56C7@dev.null>
Reply To: <Pine.GSO.3.95.970903140843.17147A-100000@well.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-09-04 00:44:50 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 08:44:50 +0800

Raw message

From: TruthMonger <tm@dev.null>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 08:44:50 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: FBI calls for mandatory key escrow; Denning on export ctrls

Declan McCullagh wrote:

> All encryption products sold or distributed in the U.S.
> must have a key escrow backdoor "like an airbag in a car,"
> law enforcement agents advised a Senate panel this
> afternoon.

  I must have not been given the proper ballots when I voted. I didn't
see the FBI or any other LEA on *my* ballot. If these people are going
to be running the country, and making the decisions as to what does and
does not constitute threats to the citizens and the country and the
world, shouldn't we have some say in who they are?

> Kyl opened today's hearing not by saying its purpose
> was to discuss crypto in a balanced manner, but that
> he wanted "to explore how encryption is affecting the
> way we deal with criminals, terrorists, and the
> security needs of business."

  Yoo-hoo! Over here! Yoo-hoo! It's the CITIZENS! We still exist!

> Then he talked at length
> about "criminals and terrorists" using crypto, and
> child pornographers "using encryption to hide
> pornographic images of children that they transmit
> across the Internet."

  If we imprison more of our citizen-units than most dictatorships, then
who the fuck are we imprisoning?
  Are we *not* imprisoning criminals, terrorists and child pornographers
and other scum? What percentage of the population needs to consist of
LEA agents, and what percentage of the population must we imprison in
order to put away criminals, terrorists and child pornographers?
  50%?...80%...100%?

  > Kyl also stacked the three panels. Out of seven
> witnesses, five were current or former law enforcement
> agents. No privacy or civil liberties advocates
> testified.

  That's right. The correct answer is 71% LEA agents, and
100% of the citizens in prison.
  I hate to support this approach to law enforcement, but if the people
in charge of the safety of the nation and its citizens cannot prevent
criminals, terrorists and child pornographers from running rampant with
the mountains of laws and technology currently at their fingertips, then
I guess we'll just have to pass more laws and put all munitions and
privacy technology in the hands of the LEA's.

  Besides, the citizen-units will be 'happier' in prison, where they can
get the really *good* drugs and indulge in anal sex without fear of
imprisonment.

TruthMonger

Thread