1997-10-11 - Re: Attitude and Assumptions

Header Data

From: 3umoelle@informatik.uni-hamburg.de (Ulf =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=F6ller?=)
To: jon@pgp.com
Message Hash: 41f34d00165178313ed94196728a583c2a3d5056825bba3d02e587d2b10a7749
Message ID: <m0xK0xQ-0003bQC@ulf.mali.sub.org>
Reply To: <3.0.3.32.19971010180024.00ad8ce0@mail.pgp.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-10-11 13:01:48 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 11 Oct 1997 21:01:48 +0800

Raw message

From: 3umoelle@informatik.uni-hamburg.de (Ulf =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=F6ller?=)
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 1997 21:01:48 +0800
To: jon@pgp.com
Subject: Re: Attitude and Assumptions

> The last thing that really, really bugs me is the hostility that's directed
> towards PGP Inc. because now we're an Inc.

There is no hostility towards PGP, Inc.  It is just that many people
think your software contains a feature which has very bad consequences.
Incidentally, I heard a speech by Phil Zimmermann the day before PGP
5.5 was released.  He expressed deep concerns about key escrow,
epxressly including PGP products.  Think about it.

Personally, I think a corporation has the right to access their
employees' business communications, so as long as private messages
remain private, there CAK is no big problem (not that it is exactly
useful, either).  However, when you claim that you are reacting to
to non-existant public safety concerns, I wonder what the real agenda
is.

It is also surprising that you fail to recognize the difference
between communications keys and storage keys.

Thread