1997-10-30 - Re: DEA trying to subpoena book dealers

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: ichudov@Algebra.COM (Igor Chudov)
Message Hash: 9f34d55f41293fd51fbec9feabd3652c7919ceda1118742012c2aaa591069cb9
Message ID: <v0310280ab07e6e0e0f2b@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <v03102806b07e577ec20a@[207.167.93.63]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-10-30 18:20:19 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 02:20:19 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 02:20:19 +0800
To: ichudov@Algebra.COM (Igor Chudov)
Subject: Re: DEA trying to subpoena book dealers

(This will have to be my last post, for now at least, on the issues about
home defense. These are issues covered frequently on Usenet. DejaNews
should turn up thousands of articles.)

At 10:44 AM -0700 10/30/97, Igor Chudov @ home wrote:

>How about a big dog (living in a doghouse or inside the home) that is
>properly trained? I think that it is the best and most sensitive early
>warning system.

Many people do this. Note that most SWAT teams have silenced weapons to
take out guard dogs, however.  From a distance, before the dog even reacts.

>How about reinforced metal sheet doors? THose are not supposed to be too
>expensive and can be made to look pretty.

Certainly a possibility.

>> (Experts also advise that homeowners facing such assaults "stay put,"
>> unless, of course, they have to defend other family members in other rooms.)
>
>Are there any legal ramifications (like liability in case of death of
>the intruders) if the homeowner gets out of the locked bedroom and shoots
>the attackers?

This is well-covered, too. Most states will not prosecute someone for
shooting an intruder who is INSIDE THE HOUSE. The usual language, which
lawyers know, is about "reasonable fear for one's life." It's easy to
convince a jury that one was in fear for one's life when confronting an
intruder inside one's home. Less easy outside. And so on.

Civil liability is another matter entirely. Often the surviving perp or the
dead perp's relatives will sue for whatever the homeowner has, claiming
some degree of overreaction, blah blah blah. And this being Amerika, often
juries will award huge sums.

>> And ignore the advice from the Consumer Protection Safety Commission, etc.,
>> to lock all guns up in safes or vaults or closets. A gun locked up in a gun
>> safe can't be gotten to when it's really needed, can it?
>
>Depends on a safe, really.
>
>My understanding of all this, which is pretty limited, is that safes are
>a good idea for storing things when the homeowner is not home or does not
>immediately control access to valuable things.

Obviously. But I wasn't talking about this. Jeesh.

>> Suzie from finding the gun. For children old enough to understand orders,
>> and what guns are, tell them exactly what a gun does, show them, educate
>> them, and warn them to NEVER touch the gun or show it to their friends
>
>I would never follow any fucking orders from my parents.

Then think of this as evolution in action.

--Tim May