1997-11-05 - Taxing Churches for their views? Bad idea.

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: fight-censorship@vorlon.mit.edu
Message Hash: 6403ac4dd3ff301b85ac3119a02ad8a5e35251e0fedc72f5178f0aa91cf3f6a2
Message ID: <v03102802b085858a6a1a@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <199711050210.DAA18934@basement.replay.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-11-05 04:10:51 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 12:10:51 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 12:10:51 +0800
To: fight-censorship@vorlon.mit.edu
Subject: Taxing Churches for their views? Bad idea.

At 7:10 PM -0700 11/4/97, Anonymous wrote:

>More telling, she doesn't seem to have a problem using a religious (and
>therefore tax-exempt) organization to push a political agenda. Apparently
>that whole 'separation of church and state' thing only applies when it's
>convenient.
>
>If religions want to play politics, the least we can do is get them to pay
>for the privilege. I'd feel a certain guilty pleasure seeing some of those
>bottom-feeders taxed into penury.

Nonsense. And a dangerous course.

One can decide to "tax churches" or to "not tax churches." I have no
particularly strong opinion on either option.

But one must definitely _not_ base the decision to tax or not to tax on the
opinions expressed by a church!

One cannot decide to tax the Catholic Church "into penury" because its
anti-abortion views have become politically incorrect in the last 30 years.
Nor can one decide to tax the tempes and synagogues of Judaism "into
penury" because they are centers of support for the Zionist Entity.

Think about it.

--Tim May