1997-11-11 - Re: 1st Ammendment Tossed in Paladin Case

Header Data

From: Greg Broiles <gbroiles@netbox.com>
To: Eric Cordian <emc@wire.insync.net>
Message Hash: a580da13cb0e422738c5ebb00bf85a5535b7ba36b10c4156626a08862ea5bfec
Message ID: <3.0.5.32.19971111115651.03c9c8e0@mail.io.com>
Reply To: <199711111642.KAA20562@wire.insync.net>
UTC Datetime: 1997-11-11 20:35:05 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 04:35:05 +0800

Raw message

From: Greg Broiles <gbroiles@netbox.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 04:35:05 +0800
To: Eric Cordian <emc@wire.insync.net>
Subject: Re: 1st Ammendment Tossed in Paladin Case

>RICHMOND, Va. (AP) -- Ruling that the right to a free press doesn't
>cover a how-to-kill book, a federal appeals panel said the families
>of a hired killer's victims may sue the publisher of a book that he
>consulted.
>
>A three-judge panel of the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals denied
>First Amendment protection to ``Hit Man: A Technical Manual for
>Independent Contractors,'' saying publisher Paladin Press knew it
>would be used by murderers.

The decision is online in an incredibly difficult-to-read layout at:

<http://www.law.emory.edu/4circuit/nov97/962412.p.html>

.. I'm working on a more nicely formatted version, but am kinda getting my
ass kicked with things to do today, so that may not be ready until tomorrow.

--
Greg Broiles                | US crypto export control policy in a nutshell:
gbroiles@netbox.com         | Export jobs, not crypto.

Thread