1997-11-10 - Re: cute.

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Message Hash: e33663248668de3ef374bba924f40785815ab47690d9a7a21b5c11acceb12d70
Message ID: <v03102801b08c13dc4f16@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <3.0.3.32.19971101165942.0365b498@mail.atl.bellsouth.net>
UTC Datetime: 1997-11-10 02:36:55 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 10:36:55 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 10:36:55 +0800
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Subject: Re: cute.

At 2:17 PM -0700 11/9/97, Bill Stewart wrote:
>>>What's the point in distribuing your public key through the same
>>>channels as a signature? Kinda defeats the purpose. Esp since I can't
>>>verify that the given public key is indeed yours, since you're anonymous.
>
>As Robert and Tim point out, the important issue is that
>you can tell that a posting claiming to be from "Amad3us"
>is or is not by the same set of authors as the previous
>articles by the pseudonym "Amad3us".  This allows authors
>to create and defend "reputation capital", and allows readers

And several days ago someone said, basically, "Fine, but this is only
needed once, and shouldn't be sent more than once...blah blah"

Well, each new entrant into the "cycle" is like a first time viewer or
receiver of this signature information.

I'm not saying a public key block should accompany all posts--the
keyservers work for that--but there is certainly no harm done.

--Tim May