1997-12-03 - Re: [RePol] Re: Pasting in From: you@yourmachine.com

Header Data

From: stewarts@ix.netcom.com
To: Charlie Comsec <remailer-politics@server1.efga.org
Message Hash: 4ec7d9823737809aae7f739cc6cb78ad4c5809fa1ca9e40dbe5a61e0ddfbfba1
Message ID: <3.0.3.32.19971203093552.00748ecc@popd.ix.netcom.com>
Reply To: <19971203142004.12956.qmail@nym.alias.net>
UTC Datetime: 1997-12-03 22:03:07 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 06:03:07 +0800

Raw message

From: stewarts@ix.netcom.com
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 06:03:07 +0800
To: Charlie Comsec <remailer-politics@server1.efga.org
Subject: Re: [RePol]  Re: Pasting in From: you@yourmachine.com

At 02:20 PM 12/03/1997 -0000, Charlie Comsec wrote:
>You start to tread on dangerous ground when you concern yourself with the
>content (body) of a post.  If, for example, you start to filter on content,
>then you're implicitly approving anything that you do allow to pass through.
>That sets a precedent that's hard to contain and exercising editorial control
>over the contents increases the remailer operator's legal liability for
>material posted.

If some victim of forged hatemail to Usenet requests that your remailer
block all email containing her name and address, is that legitimate?
Or if somebody's forging death threats with her name at the bottom?
I think yes, assuming the forgee is not a sufficiently public figure like
Hillary Clinton or Janet Reno that would lead to obvious disbelief.

(If Gary Burnore makes the same request, you've got a tradeoff between doing
the safe thing, and blocking, or doing what he deserves and also reposting
copies run through some jive filter. :-)

I agree that blocking postings based on content that isn't specifically
targeting someone who's requested in advance is probably not a good idea.
				Thanks!
					Bill
Bill Stewart, stewarts@ix.netcom.com
Regular Key PGP Fingerprint D454 E202 CBC8 40BF  3C85 B884 0ABE 4639

Thread