1997-12-21 - Re: Is Anonymous Communication only for “Criminals”? (was: Re: UCENET II and Peter duh Silva)

Header Data

From: Joichi Ito <jito@eccosys.com>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 564cd938f3c878265b779a494d9b000bceabf486a8883c415754684434fb7455
Message ID: <199712210732.QAA12422@eccosys.com>
Reply To: <19971220162410.14018@die.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-12-21 07:36:42 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 15:36:42 +0800

Raw message

From: Joichi Ito <jito@eccosys.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 15:36:42 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: Is Anonymous Communication only for "Criminals"? (was: Re: UCENET II and Peter duh Silva)

At 10:36 97/12/20 -0500, Rabid Wombat wrote:

> More like simple economics; after the breakup, a lot of pay phones were
> operated by companies specializing in this type of service. Pay phones
> are high maintenance, and their operators can only turn a profit by
> charging very high rates; if you make a quick call and ask the other
> party to call you back at the pay phone, the pay phone operator doesn't
> make much money.
>
> Can you site any legislation barring pay phones from receiving calls? I'd
> think that most pay phone operators would be glad to deny incomming calls
> if they were allowed to (as they often are), and wouldn't need to be forced.

Can't a pay phone operator get paid a portion of incoming calls as well?
If they can set outgoing rates to be very high, couldn't they set their
incoming rates as well? (This is not an opinion, but a question.)
I do know that depending on the arrangement, phone companies either
carry all incoming call for free or cross bill incoming minutes to each other.

 - Joi

--
PGP Key: http://pgp.ai.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x2D9461F1
PGP Fingerprint: 58F3 CA9A EFB8 EB9D DF18  6B16 E48D AF2A 2D94 61F1