1997-12-05 - RE: Re: Censorial leftists (Was: Interesting article)

Header Data

From: jay holovacs <holovacs@idt.net>
To: jon@lasser.org>
Message Hash: b66462d1e4e9abd1b410eaf6374fe52bb75918eb1f91cbd2aa3e62ce072fa0dc
Message ID: <199712051359.IAA10734@u1.farm.idt.net>
Raw Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 22:28:40 +0800

Raw message

From: jay holovacs <holovacs@idt.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 22:28:40 +0800
To: jon@lasser.org>
Subject: RE: Re: Censorial leftists (Was: Interesting article)

This post has a strange deja vu to it. I can remember back in the '60s when revolutionary wannabes would talk of the glorious peoples paradise while living in their comfortable suburban homes. How the workers' education system was open to all, no one was unemployed...

Now it has come full circle. Singapore is capitalist, so loss of freedoms can be glossed over. Many of us on this list would already be subject to the law for postings critical of government. People are in jail for looking at Penthouse on the net. Here we worry about filtering in libraries, they have whole country filtering. We worry about hate speech codes, they prohibit anything 'promoting racial or religious disharmony' (don't publish the Bell Curve there..), what good is being able to afford a printing press when you need the government's permission to publish. A few years back, at least, there were pictures in the airport of approved haircuts, you could not enter the country if your style did not conform. No first amandment, no fourth, no fifth, and don't even think about getting a gun permit.

It is amazing that people who are so offended by *government action* would gloss over a government that intrudes itself into so many areas of private life.

We are appalled by those who would sell their freedoms for perceived safety. Is it less  foolish to sell *fundamental* freedoms for a few bucks more income?

Jay

   >From:    	frissell@panix.com
   >To:        	"J. Lasser" <jon@lasser.org>
   >Cc:        	fight-censorship@vorlon.mit.edu; cypherpunks@toad.com