1997-12-22 - Re: message dependent hashcash => no double spend database (Re: hashcash spam prevention & firewalls)

Header Data

From: Adam Back <aba@dcs.ex.ac.uk>
To: whgiii@invweb.net
Message Hash: ec991362a8d37b005d8f0b208e800c2e96f67b02460cc1ea3ca64364ce52e41e
Message ID: <199712221801.SAA00366@server.eternity.org>
Reply To: <199712182121.QAA04394@users.invweb.net>
UTC Datetime: 1997-12-22 18:18:44 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 02:18:44 +0800

Raw message

From: Adam Back <aba@dcs.ex.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 02:18:44 +0800
To: whgiii@invweb.net
Subject: Re: message dependent hashcash => no double spend database  (Re: hashcash spam prevention & firewalls)

William Geiger <whgiii@invweb.net> writes:
> Well IMNSHO hashcahs mail sucks!! It opens up the pandora's box of usage
> based charges for everything done on the 'net. What will be next? FTP
> sites charging hashcash for DL's? WebPages charging hashcash per hit? DNS
> servers charging per lookup? Routers charging per packet?

We already pay usage charges indirectly.

That is to say, in the UK you pay per second phone line charges.  It
would actually save me money if the net was a bit more responsive.  If
I was paying packet delivery at guaranteed performance, I would spend
less money on the phone charges.

Flat rate charges is nice enough, and the way I would like things to
stay, however I tend to think that usage charges would not be as bad
as you expect, because it would put competitive pressure on ISPs to
provide performance.

(My current ISP has truly pitiful performance.)

Adam
--
Now officially an EAR violation...