1998-02-19 - Re: Is spam really a problem?

Header Data

From: sunder <sunder@brainlink.com>
To: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Message Hash: 177f33f89e722d1b64011c2cc59de7b7b50c2b427a260e3921ed58b69501943b
Message ID: <34ECA0D8.32CBABB5@brainlink.com>
Reply To: <199802181733.SAA26244@basement.replay.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-02-19 21:30:22 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 05:30:22 +0800

Raw message

From: sunder <sunder@brainlink.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 05:30:22 +0800
To: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Subject: Re: Is spam really a problem?

Tim May wrote:

> Ray has widened his definition of "spam" even more.

No, my definition is the same as it always was.  Maybe you didn't realize
how wide it was.

> You've mentioned that spam is theft. If the courts agree with you on your
> definition of what spam is, then pretty clearly the legal system gets
> invoked. (But to forestall any confusions in the courts, the anti-spam
> sentiment being discussed by Ray and many others is likely to lead to
> specific legislation. Sadly.)

It is my definition, if others agree, that's their business.  I'm not asking
the courts to do shit about it however.

> "Theft." Call the cops.

It is theft, and I do call the cops, or rather in this case the ISP's involved.
The problem is they can't do much as the messages are sent from throw away
accounts.

> So, your definition of spam has now been expanded to include someone who
> sends _you_ (you, not thousands, not tens of thousands) a message you don't
> care for.

Show me your spam filters.  Do you not have at least one individual's name
in that list whose messages you route to a folder of trash or delete outright?
I seem to recall that was the case quite a while back with a certain "Doctor".

Indeed, even you make decisions about what is or isn't spam based on WHO sends
it.  In this case, you, not thousands, not tens o thousands of others is making
a decision on what is or isn't spam because you don't care for it.

.+.^.+.|  Ray Arachelian    |Prying open my 3rd eye.  So good to see |./|\.
..\|/..|sunder@sundernet.com|you once again. I thought you were      |/\|/\
<--*-->| ------------------ |hiding, and you thought that I had run  |\/|\/
../|\..| "A toast to Odin,  |away chasing the tail of dogma. I opened|.\|/.
.+.v.+.|God of screwdrivers"|my eye and there we were....            |.....

Thread