1998-02-20 - Re: putting down the US military

Header Data

From: “Attila T. Hun” <attila@hun.org>
To: “Timothy C. May” <paladin@lvcablemodem.com>
Message Hash: c4f9cf51266c5d71157419f50b6ce5c8baf4945d89bc241798d4f9b1edd2d22c
Message ID: <19980220.000732.attila@hun.org>
Reply To: <3.0.5.32.19980219140712.007bda40@pop3.lvcablemodem.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-02-20 01:10:09 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 09:10:09 +0800

Raw message

From: "Attila T. Hun" <attila@hun.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 09:10:09 +0800
To: "Timothy C. May" <paladin@lvcablemodem.com>
Subject: Re: putting down the US military

on or about 980219:1407, in <3.0.5.32.19980219140712.007bda40@pop3.lvcablemodem.com>,
    "Eric J. Tune" <paladin@lvcablemodem.com> was purported to have
    expostulated to perpetuate an opinion:

Eric J. Tune wrote:

>You know Tim, I respect most of what you write, and I respect
>you in that you have your own free will and opinions and the
>right to express them, but what you have forgotten in your
>anarchistic ravings is that PEOPLE DIED IN SOMALIA, including a
>personal friend of mine.  They were all somebody's son, brother,
>and friend  [snip]

    my oldest son's LAR recon/black unit had been stood down for
    Somalia, gear turned in, etc.  we were finishing Christmas
    dinner [two additional NCO's who did not live close enough
    to 29 Palms were also guests] --just about 4pm, the 'phone
    rang...  I knew, and they knew. Bush had decided to go to
    Somalia and the powers grabbed an always on standby high
    power unit: 21 LAV25s, etc.  vehicles and all were on C5s in
    14 hours.

    having personally received those calls before does not
    prepare you for the call when it is _your_ son heading out
    for his first chance to stare the beast in the face and
    stand it down...  or come home in a body bag.

Eric J. Tune wrote:

>The next time you "cheer to see the U.S. gets its tail kicked",
>why don't you think about the American troops who lost their
>lives or were maimed, or who were doing something they may have
>been personally and morally against, but they chose to be
>professional soldiers, and instead of displaying cowardice, they
>tried to do what was asked of them. [snip]

    escorting Bush was a piece of cake, but the brass figured
    they had two of these special recon companies and ordered
    them to secure North Mogadishu --they did and were shipped
    stateside; then Army's 10th Mountain got its ass kicked for
    some of the dumbest logistics planning, including the pickup
    armor column getting lost, no water, and no night vision
    goggles...  then Uncle put its tail between its legs and
    came home.

    how do you think the all the families with sons, husbands,
    lovers, siblings, etc. felt with the spectacle of a dead
    (and initially unidentified pending notification of
    kin) service man out there just doing his duty for
    his country is being dragged around the dirt streets of a
    shithole?  the boy's parents saw it on television before
    the Army could get a man out to their house to tell them
    (yes, it is done in person).

    my _boy_ came home a changed _man_ after live ammo on live
    targets and no rubber bullets --and did what all returning
    jarheads do after first blood --got married as soon as
    possible.

Eric J. Tune wrote:

>Your "cheering" was a blatant slap in the face to anyone who has
>ever served in uniform. [snip]

    absolutely. misplaced criticism and a personal offense to me
    as well as all other servicemen.

    it is one thing to deplore the various wars, police actions,
    dirty tricks, etc. which the U.S. Presidents and spook shows
    are always using to defend "our" interests around the world
    -it is another to criticize and ridicule the men who fight
    and die.

    I have no regrets for what I did, and did too well, but I
    sure as hell have regrets for whom it was done: total
    sleezeballs who have taken TR's maxim to mean: "speak loudly
    and use a big stick" --it's only business, son.

>...with the right to our freedom of speech comes a
>responsibility to speak wisely..

    well, on this point, the thorn of what is "wisely" is
    defined differently by everyone; freedom of speech is just
    that-- if we restrict Tim's, then we lose our own freedom.

        Tim gets to say his piece,
        and we get to lump it      --or lump Tim.

Thread