1998-03-13 - Re: Fortify

Header Data

From: David Honig <honig@otc.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 622cb00704e9b504a176ae96b022f3273ce41a5f6e4861f02591a6f9097edc0f
Message ID: <3.0.5.32.19980313094123.007c6b40@otc.net>
Reply To: <199803130603.HAA04734@basement.replay.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-03-13 17:45:30 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 09:45:30 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: David Honig <honig@otc.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 09:45:30 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: Re: Fortify

At 07:03 AM 3/13/98 +0100, Anonymous wrote:
>Tthe remarkably hackable nature of  Netscape's "weak" crypto has been
marveled
>at here and in the press, but has no one else speculated on how this state of
>affairs came to be?  I, for one, would like to thank the anonymous
cypherpunks
>toiling in the bowels of Netscape.  An amazing feat, achieving world-wide
>distribution of millions of copies of strong crypto, the Feds all
unknowing.
>Does anyone here _not_ think this was the deliberate act of one or more
>cryptoanarchists?

Not to burst your optimism, but wouldn't good software design dictate
maintainable, ie, modifiable code?

      David Honig                   Orbit Technology
     honig@otc.net                  Intaanetto Jigyoubu

Beat your algorithms into swords and your virtual machines into spears:
let the weak say, I am strong.

Gosling deliver us from the ropes of backcompatability and mass production.

Thread