1998-04-03 - Re: regulating the internet – clarification

Header Data

From: “Abstruse” <WebMaster@abstruse.ml.org>
To: James Lucier <jlucier@atr.org>
Message Hash: a646567c5e5f13a9810cb059a69b5d30625364800cdb1d695cc5fef56ee41a02
Message ID: <35243DBF.7B72@Abstruse.ml.org>
Reply To: <001a01bd5e8c$1916d100$0f24eecf@jlucier.atr.org>
UTC Datetime: 1998-04-03 01:39:05 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 17:39:05 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: "Abstruse" <WebMaster@abstruse.ml.org>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 17:39:05 -0800 (PST)
To: James Lucier <jlucier@atr.org>
Subject: Re: regulating the internet -- clarification

James Lucier wrote:

> Let's be fair to Jennifer: the Internet is a self-regulated community.  From
> Netiquette to Protocols, there is actually quite a lot of regulation going
> on.  However, for the most part, this regulation is voluntary:  you choose
> to opt in, or in the case of Spamford Wallace, people ultimately choose not
> to deal with you. They may even seek civil remedies in court. In this
> respect, the Internet is a model for the self-regulating markeplace of the
> future.

ok, fair enough..to actually regulate the internet would require a
"coming-together" of sorts by the major countries in the world..have
they been able to accomplish this as of yet? no..now, granted, there
could be possible laws, rules, etc made that would enforce (somehwat)
this policy in differnet parts of the world..but..eventually, there's
going to be some "stepping on toes" of one nation on another..or one
region on another..or whatever..it just won't "jive".

But, provided they did manage to pull a universal proposition off that
everyone could agree on..do you honestly believe the people that
actually know how to conrol/manipulate these sytems would allow it?
there're a lot more people that have the technical savvy that would
oppose that, than there are that would defend it..if you ask me..

Thread