1998-09-18 - Re: Mobile phone tracking, pagers, etc

Header Data

From: Michael Motyka <mmotyka@lsil.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 08b3b8172a61269d3933644d53db44156a25859c6cb746e46cf2b9e4c919d100
Message ID: <3602A53A.48E7@lsil.com>
Reply To: <Pine.LNX.3.95.980918081019.15546H-100000@video.avwashington.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-09-18 06:00:28 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 14:00:28 +0800

Raw message

From: Michael Motyka <mmotyka@lsil.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 14:00:28 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Mobile phone tracking, pagers, etc

Chip Mefford wrote:

> Actually,
>
> there seems to be a screw up out  there.
>
> Right now, one can go down the 7/11, and pay
> cash for a prepaid cellphone, and renew it with
> cellphone time cards also purchased with cash.
>
> No paperwork, NONE.
>
> I have one.
>
> While all of the technology applies, and certainly it is possible
> to determine things by analyzing calling habits, I can't see how one
> can easily determine who has cellphone #blahblahblahblahblah when
> you just bought a box at an out of town 7/11 during the breakfast
> rush with cash.
>
> Esp if one doesn't make a lot of calls.

Tasty. Especially if one's partner in crime has taken the same
precaution.

To the LEAs: technology giveth and technology taketh away.

BTW - do these phones have a modem connector? If not could one be added?
Then you get end-to-end privacy too.

Thread