1998-09-10 - Re: Spot The Fed

Header Data

From: “Raymond D. Mereniuk” <Raymond@fbn.bc.ca>
To: “Kevin J. Stephenson” <kevin.stephenson@pobox.com>
Message Hash: 4c8263a841a16334333e0a61b60d2a81a11987bb879409f09b2b8682a78908d5
Message ID: <199809101544.IAA18377@leroy.fbn.bc.ca>
Reply To: <199809100428.VAA17926@leroy.fbn.bc.ca>
UTC Datetime: 1998-09-10 02:29:15 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 10:29:15 +0800

Raw message

From: "Raymond D. Mereniuk" <Raymond@fbn.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 10:29:15 +0800
To: "Kevin J. Stephenson" <kevin.stephenson@pobox.com>
Subject: Re: Spot The Fed

"Kevin J. Stephenson" <kevin.stephenson@pobox.com> wrote

> A lot of companies that get Net access never setup the reverse DNS entries
> out of sheer laziness on their assigned class C, and their upstream
> provider doesn't care. Feds probably have Class A and B addresses anyways.

Traceroute doesn't use DNS, it doesn't need to as it already has the
IP numbers.  DNS is a system which provides IP numbers when you
give it a domain name.  Reverse DNS provides a host name to an IP
address but Traceroute doesn't use it.

Traceroute works at the router level.  Traceroute is like Ping but
provides information on every hop including IP number and
assigned device name.  With Traceroute if a host name is not
received, when requested of course, it is because the equipment
was not assigned a host name or it is deliberately suppressed.  I
don't use Traceroute a lot but this is the first time I have seen host
names suppressed.

A lot of routers have ICM suppressed and will not provide a device
name.  If an end user site wants to provide better security they will
turn off ICM packets.  At that point Traceroute doesn't work at all.

Virtually

Raymond D. Mereniuk
Raymond@fbn.bc.ca

Thread