1998-09-24 - Re: Jury duty considered harmful, or at least rare

Header Data

From: “James A. Donald” <jamesd@echeque.com>
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Message Hash: 50ea08dd197c05e46eb79b56b486316044f3cbf4e5c798b29f7f4359eee0b6ac
Message ID: <199809250319.UAA07944@proxy4.ba.best.com>
Reply To: <199809240225.TAA21955@proxy4.ba.best.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-09-24 14:17:09 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 22:17:09 +0800

Raw message

From: "James A. Donald" <jamesd@echeque.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 22:17:09 +0800
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Subject: Re: Jury duty considered harmful, or at least rare

At 09:52 AM 9/24/98 -0500, Petro wrote:
> No, no, On the contrary, far too easy.
>
> There are certain people who are NEVER called to jury duty,
> people convicted of felonies & etc. simply put the name of
> an undesirable on this list,

The number of identifiable undesirables is too small to
guarantee the desired trial outcome.  To ensure a desired
outcome it would be necessary to screen out a very large
number of potential undesirables.  It would be much easier to
screen in a small number of desirables.

> > and simple statistics would show this up.

> If anyone were to look.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     M+t9fZl1uB+ChARqSR+DFzmoEJWNgr/rn5RGHaZA
     4/GeYPAq0AtkguzZ+40UycomDZMeuRMUpYyjzWHDJ

We have the right to defend ourselves and our property, because
of the kind of animals that we are. True law derives from this
right, not from the arbitrary power of the omnipotent state.

http://www.jim.com/jamesd/      James A. Donald

Thread