1998-10-27 - Re: MIB Subponeas

Header Data

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
To: “Robert A. Costner” <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 6391737a32c63887afa6c265115e100860ac9aaf56fc6c130fe933d1863b46ec
Message ID: <4.0.2.19981027112335.03c0c840@panix.com>
Reply To: <4.0.2.19981026110245.03e27250@panix.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-10-27 20:08:36 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:08:36 +0800

Raw message

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:08:36 +0800
To: "Robert A. Costner" <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: MIB Subponeas

At 02:43 PM 10/26/98 -0400, Robert A. Costner wrote:
>At 01:15 PM 10/26/98 -0500, Duncan Frissell wrote:
>>9.  "I do not posses any government-issued photo ID and thus cannot travel
>>to the location stated in the subpoena.
>
>ROTFLMAO...
>
>This last one is too funny to not use.  I don't have a subpoena, but I can
>just see myself writing back explaining this and requesting assistance with
>a plane flight to solve this problem.

I was glad I thought that one up yesterday.  It can be used in all sorts of
cases from future conscription notices to private travel demands that one
wishes to avoid.

Note that short of arrest, it is difficult for anyone else to force you to
have a government issued photo ID in your possession.  You can take all
your stuff and Fedex it to your Swiss lawyer (or some friend) telling him
to not give it to you for some period of time.  You can burn your ID, throw
it away, and not apply for replacements.  There currently exists no means
of applying for ID on your behalf if you don't do it (save for kids and
those in custody).

The beauty is that the authorities have created this requirement and it can
be used against them.  Previous techniques such as claiming lack of money
can be satisfied with government travel tickets but ID requirements will be
a tougher nut to crack.  Maybe they'll tell you to take Amtrak or the Grey
Dog.

DCF

Thread