1998-12-02 - Matt Blaze arrested???

Header Data

From: “jim finder” <jim_finder@hotmail.com>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 376801ff089c6ae94bb0970da7fb90806beee9b204c38dfee684e6edc9961629
Message ID: <19981202051225.1348.qmail@hotmail.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 13:43:00 +0800

Raw message

From: "jim finder" <jim_finder@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 13:43:00 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Matt Blaze arrested???

I heard a shocking thing on the radio a few minutes ago.
I'm <*really*> sorry I didn't hear the whole report but I'm
hoping someone here can shed some light,

According to the report a Bell Labs mathematician named
Blaze was arrested at the O'Hare airport today, in some
kind of FBI sting operation.  I didn't hear the whole segment,
but it sounded like it had something to do with passing classified
(crypto?) information to a foreign government.  The part of
the report that I heard didn't say what kind of info or what
he was charged with, but I got the impression that it was either
some kind of ITAR thing or maybe espionage.  They did
say it was part of a long term sting operation and mentioned
something (that I didn't hear clearly) about "other arrests"
that either already happened or were likely to happen soon.

Was this Matt Blaze?  It sure sounds like it must be.  Is
there a crackdown going on? Has anyone else been busted?

Does anyone have more complete information about this?

Jim