1997-05-31 - Rotenberg as the Uber Enemy

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@algebra.com
Message Hash: 251c5a7dce6e14e69443f33d2a388628aff8a70774a3885d32fb1da24fe539ac
Message ID: <v03102801afb561409260@[207.167.93.63]>
Raw Date: Sat, 31 May 1997 13:25:19 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Sat, 31 May 1997 13:25:19 +0800
To: cypherpunks@algebra.com
Subject: Rotenberg as the Uber Enemy

I suppose I am developing a reputation amongst the Inside the Beltway Cyber
Rights Groups (tm) as a pain in the ass, but nearly everytime I see one of
their chief spokeswonks giving a policy statement I realize they are "not
on my side."

The latest quote is from Marc Rotenberg, on a CNN piece on spam and
anti-spam legislation, saying that what the legislators in Congress really
need to look into is how the spammers develop their data bases.....

Incredible. Does he propose investigations of private data gathering?
Perhaps search warrants served on those who take public postings and
construct data bases?

Look, I'm annoyed by getting 5-10 "unwanted" spam messages a day. But I
realize the "spammers" are merely  taking publicly available (= legally
available, as 99.99% of all such information is) information and using
legal channels to contact me. I may not "like" it, but their behavior is as
legal as someone calling me on the phone.

(And ny nearly any measure of hassle factor, dashing to get to the phone
only to find it's a salesman selling something I don't want is worse than
any 20 unwanted e-mail messages.)

So, Marc Rotenberg wants Congress to "look into" (= interfere with)
compilation and use of public information.

These people are NOT our allies.

--Tim May