1997-06-04 - Re: Rotenberg as the Uber Enemy

Header Data

From: Lucky Green <shamrock@netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Message Hash: 26cbaad8d5aa21a579eb0463e4ed2856d96c80f60b2238e7eb53ec26ef77bd29
Message ID: <3.0.2.32.19970604003346.03a8f3a4@netcom13.netcom.com>
Reply To: <3.0.2.32.19970531153135.0076a2e4@netcom13.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-06-04 08:17:56 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 16:17:56 +0800

Raw message

From: Lucky Green <shamrock@netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 16:17:56 +0800
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Subject: Re: Rotenberg as the Uber Enemy

At 12:52 AM 6/4/97 GMT+0200, Ulf Möller wrote:
>This is a gross exaggeration.  "Pattern investigation" can be used to
>investigate certain severe crimes that cannot be solved otherwise.  It
>must be warranted by a judge, naming the patterns that the respective
>committer is believed to match.  There have been three "pattern
>investigations" ever, since the law was passed in 1991 (none of them
>successful).

The German authorities conducted pattern investigations long before 1991.
The early 80's kidnapping of the industrialist comes to mind. [The
kidnapping that ultimately caused the suspected co-conspirators to be
sucided in their solitary confinement maximum security cells. Cells that
were under 24h audio surveilance. Unfortunatly, the tapes for that fateful
night mysteriously disappeared...]

But note the requirement you mention: "severe crimes...warranted by a
judge". Where have we heard this one before? Right. The four horsemen of
the infocalypse.

--Lucky Green <shamrock@netcom.com> PGP encrypted mail preferred.

  Put a stake through the heart of DES! Join the quest at
  http://www.frii.com/~rcv/deschall.htm

Thread