1993-09-09 - Re: REMAIL: pasting

Header Data

From: Johan Helsingius <julf@penet.fi>
To: doug@netcom5.netcom.com (Doug Merritt)
Message Hash: 3f0b858f09ea3c60cde6a0bd0adc7e4c9fde3b34e6e4c12efc741e79f054dcf6
Message ID: <199309090641.AA24013@mail.eunet.fi>
Reply To: <9309090454.AA02474@netcom5.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-09-09 06:47:12 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 8 Sep 93 23:47:12 PDT

Raw message

From: Johan Helsingius <julf@penet.fi>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 93 23:47:12 PDT
To: doug@netcom5.netcom.com (Doug Merritt)
Subject: Re: REMAIL: pasting

> Not only that, but it is woefully shortsighted. For instance, when
> I reply to messages from email lists, sometimes I want to reply to
> the list, and sometimes to the originator. The variations in
> RFC-822 *compliant* email list headers are staggering; I have yet
> to see any mail software that understands the variety of syntactically-
> parseable signals that show that something is from a list, and allows
> me to easily reply to either the list or the sender.

Yeah. I am amazed that people don't get it right. My server sends out
messages looking like this:

	From: anXXXXX@anon.penet.fi
	Sender: anon@anon.penet.fi

And there are _lots_ of systems out there that send te reply to
"anon@anon.penet.fi"! Elm and VMSMail are the most obvious ones.

> Similar comments apply to saving things interactively. I'm about to
> try procmail for non-interactive uses, but I still haven't seen a mailer
> that lets me say e.g. "(save (from cypherpunks | to cypherpunks |
> cc cypherpunks | Bcc cypherpunks | "From " cypherpunks) > savefile) & delete
>
> Maybe I'm just email-challenged. Suggestions?

Try mh. It does all that.

	Julf

Thread