1993-09-09 - REMAIL: pasting

Header Data

From: hughes@ah.com (Eric Hughes)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: dc7fe2faf5abfbe0445aebd7165754fec242d57908b5816b84bd24866352cb6d
Message ID: <9309091827.AA02544@ah.com>
Reply To: <199309090641.AA24013@mail.eunet.fi>
UTC Datetime: 1993-09-09 18:37:22 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 9 Sep 93 11:37:22 PDT

Raw message

From: hughes@ah.com (Eric Hughes)
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 93 11:37:22 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: REMAIL: pasting

>Yeah. I am amazed that people don't get it right. My server sends out
>messages looking like this:

>	   From: anXXXXX@anon.penet.fi
>	   Sender: anon@anon.penet.fi

>And there are _lots_ of systems out there that send te reply to
>"anon@anon.penet.fi"! Elm and VMSMail are the most obvious ones.

Even worse, there are mailers that respond to the out-of-band sender
information that appears in the first line (not in the header!) as the
"From " information.

Bounce message (almost) always go back to the out-of-band sender, so
we changed the cypherpunks list alias on toad.com to generate that as
the out-of-band sender.  Now bounce message return to a different
mailbox and my inbox at toad.com is clear for regular list
maintenance.

Nonetheless, I still get a number of attempted posts to the mailing
list at large _and_ requests for list maintenance (?!) to the
owner-cypherpunks alias.

If only mail software were consistent, ...

Eric

Thread