1993-10-02 - Re: PGP in FIDO

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <pmetzger@lehman.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f27143e499ce1ef8911d6e1034026d5a6bc324e8e2d81e6df42b940904e8773e
Message ID: <9310022113.AA19467@snark.lehman.com>
Reply To: <9310022109.AA16172@vswr.sps.mot.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-10-02 21:14:25 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 2 Oct 93 14:14:25 PDT

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <pmetzger@lehman.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 93 14:14:25 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: PGP in FIDO

Bob Izenberg says:
> Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>
> # They take NO risk. They are common carriers if they stop censoring
> # their mail.
>
> Not long after I moved here, I had a discussion with a local lawyer
> on common carrier status.  Take my recollections for what they're
> worth after three years rattling around in the head of a
> non-attorney.  One doesn't become a common carrier by virtue of
> personal policy.  It's a label that must be applied for with the
> local communications regulatory authority (public utilities
> commission or what have you.)

Mike Godwin will have to confirm this, but to my knowledge Common
Carrier is NOT a status you have to apply for. UUNET operates as a
common carrier and has never registered with anyone.

Perry

Thread