1994-05-26 - Re: PGP 2.6 is dangerous in the long term ?

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@imsi.com>
To: nelson@toad.com (Russell Nelson)
Message Hash: 629538df9618d65e41b1246c844bff95b3d771431c73cfa4992a422dedba5485
Message ID: <9405261211.AA05646@snark.imsi.com>
Reply To: <m0q6QwC-000IB8C@crynwr>
UTC Datetime: 1994-05-26 12:11:41 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 26 May 94 05:11:41 PDT

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@imsi.com>
Date: Thu, 26 May 94 05:11:41 PDT
To: nelson@toad.com (Russell Nelson)
Subject: Re: PGP 2.6 is dangerous in the long term ?

Russell Nelson says:
>    Date: Wed, 25 May 94 10:25:30 -0700
>    From: hughes@ah.com (Eric Hughes)
>
>       You have to assume that RSA isn't being run by idiots.  Either they're
>       looking at closing their doors in seven years, or they've got a plan.
>
>    I asked Jim Bidzos about this last year.  He told me they're planning
>    on becoming a supplier of cryptography code and expertise.
>
> If they had expertise, they wouldn't need patents.

Make no mistake, they have expertise. As much as we like to denegrate
them, they are responsible for several algorithms we all use every
day, like MD5.

That said, I agree that the patents are unsavory. However, none of us
thus far have shown the testicular fortitude to challenge any of them.

Perry

Thread