1994-07-01 - Re: Devil’s Advocate (again)

Header Data

From: Michael Handler <grendel@netaxs.com>
To: Jim choate <ravage@bga.com>
Message Hash: 30224e96c4051b465460dce25c9693f9f5bfa7785ba9d063b464661ccb12451a
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9407011532.A929-0100000@unix2.netaxs.com>
Reply To: <199407011815.NAA21951@zoom.bga.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-07-01 19:45:31 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 1 Jul 94 12:45:31 PDT

Raw message

From: Michael Handler <grendel@netaxs.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 94 12:45:31 PDT
To: Jim choate <ravage@bga.com>
Subject: Re: Devil's Advocate (again)

On Fri, 1 Jul 1994, Jim choate wrote:

> > There are a number of good ways to breach modern cryptography without
> > torture.  They include:
> >
> > Van Eck (Tempest) monitoring.
> > Sodium pentathol & its more modern cousins.
> >
> I believe this is considered torture in the US.
>
> > Bribery.
> > Blackmail.
>
> Both of these are great but any evidence is inadmissable in court and
> therefore of no use to a prosecutor.

	Do you think the NSA cares either about the majority of US laws
or the admissibility of evidence? If they want your key badly enough,
they will get it, and in all probability will have no compunctions
against any of those methods.

Michael Brandt Handler                                <grendel@netaxs.com>
Philadelphia, PA                                    <mh7p+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Currently at CMU, Pittsburgh, PA            PGP v2.6 public key on request
Boycott Canter & Siegel                <<NSA>> 1984: We're Behind Schedule

Thread