1994-08-22 - Re: Voluntary Governments?

Header Data

From: Jason W Solinsky <solman@MIT.EDU>
To: Hal <hfinney@shell.portal.com>
Message Hash: ebdc0259b60e7811f0611d4b68cc54fa469a74ba1864182aa9bf42effa9dd174
Message ID: <9408220204.AA08812@ua.MIT.EDU>
Reply To: <199408211736.KAA07761@jobe.shell.portal.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-08-22 02:04:49 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 21 Aug 94 19:04:49 PDT

Raw message

From: Jason W Solinsky <solman@MIT.EDU>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 94 19:04:49 PDT
To: Hal <hfinney@shell.portal.com>
Subject: Re: Voluntary Governments?

> In an on-line world it would be much easier to enforce banishment or
> selective ostracism than in real life.  Filtering agents could look for
> certificates from accepted enforcement agencies before letting messages
> through.  Each user could have a set of agencies which were compatible
> with his principles, and another set of "outlaws".  You could even end up
> with the effect of multiple "logical subnets" of people who communicate
> with each other but not outside their subnet.  Some nets might respect
> intellectual property, others not, and so on.

Yeah I've been thinking about this alot. It seems that my system has a high
probability of increasing cultural fragmentation. I have occasionally tried
to support the thesis that as the level of technology sophistication
increases, the fraction of the population that is employed in "artistic"
professions [jobs that create things, the purpose of which is our intellectual
stimulation] will increase and further that the number of artistic jobs that
can be supported by a population has a positive correlation with the
population's degree of cultural fragmentation. Perhaps there are some
_positive_ economic benefits to the creation of seperate "subnets", and
the cryptographic walls erected by cyberspatial governments will be the
mechanism by which this fragmentation occurs.

JWS

Thread