1994-08-06 - Re: Remailer ideas

Header Data

From: mccoy@io.com (Jim McCoy)
To: hfinney@shell.portal.com (Hal)
Message Hash: f3b32930a5b0dfac98413b66febd84e8cb4947219d53d67f9fef9e11a9118d35
Message ID: <199408060555.AAA06154@pentagon.io.com>
Reply To: <199408060511.WAA24892@jobe.shell.portal.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-08-06 05:55:16 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 5 Aug 94 22:55:16 PDT

Raw message

From: mccoy@io.com (Jim McCoy)
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 94 22:55:16 PDT
To: hfinney@shell.portal.com (Hal)
Subject: Re: Remailer ideas

> >If I send a message for the first
> >time to a party and there's no reply, I cannot conclude whether the
> >message was not delivered or whether the message was delivered and not
> >answered.

Given a connectionless network absolute delivery is impossible (well, not
completely, but just about...)

> I would really like to see some kind of system for reliable email.  I'm
> surprised that it doesn't exist yet.

What makes you think that it doesn't?  You should check out Enabled Mail (I
think that is the name of it...); it is a set of MIME extensions that would
use a "safe" subset of Tcl to create triggers that can be set for message
receipt/delivery or for when the message is read.  I used to have a pointer
to the proposed system, but you should be able to find it by poking around
the comp.lang.tcl FAQ or asking over there.

jim

Thread