1994-09-15 - Re: if this is RC4

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@imsi.com>
To: Carl Ellison <cme@tis.com>
Message Hash: 1193f8677b9c8d54021af0694831d46d6427bcc7bf0e3405636cf46249b4b4e6
Message ID: <9409151906.AA05269@snark.imsi.com>
Reply To: <9409151857.AA27191@tis.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-09-15 19:06:52 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 15 Sep 94 12:06:52 PDT

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@imsi.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 94 12:06:52 PDT
To: Carl Ellison <cme@tis.com>
Subject: Re: if this is RC4

Carl Ellison says:
> Assuming for the moment that alleged-RC4 came from the keyboard of Ron
> Rivest,

Well, from his mind -- its probably a reverse engineering job. It
looks like it may be interoperable, which would imply that its real...

> my question is whether to look at this as an amateur cipher from a
> famous cryptologist -- or as a carefully designed cipher from a
> professional.

Hard to tell. Its remarkably simple -- the simplest cypher I've seen
in some time. It obvioously needs to be studied in detail. The
possible excitement comes from its speed...

.pm

Thread