1994-09-23 - Re: Fast Modular Factorial?

Header Data

From: mpd@netcom.com (Mike Duvos)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 56bada817daa023330709142ffdd0467e7ac28e1d24ce3e19ba3470e066e0434
Message ID: <199409231923.MAA19299@netcom12.netcom.com>
Reply To: <EiUkmS600awSE3EGMO@andrew.cmu.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1994-09-23 19:25:56 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 23 Sep 94 12:25:56 PDT

Raw message

From: mpd@netcom.com (Mike Duvos)
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 94 12:25:56 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Fast Modular Factorial?

Matthew J Ghio <mg5n+@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

 > Nope.  The ability to take fast modular factorials as you
 > suggest implies the ability to factor large numbers in
 > polynomial time.

 > If (n!)mod x = 0 then there is a factor of x which is less
 > than n.  If you can solve modular factorials, then you can
 > solve for the largest factor of x in logarithmic time.
 > Obviously, nobody has found a method to do either.

I should mention that I am interested in the case (2^n)! mod p
where p is a prime and (2^n) << p.  In this case no individual
term of the factorial will be equal to zero mod p, and since the
non-zero residues form a group under multiplication, the result
can never be zero either.

The ability to solve this special case may also imply the ability
to factor large numbers in polynomial time, but in some less
obvious way.