1994-12-28 - Re: Making sure a program gets to the receiver intact

Header Data

From: “Ian Farquhar” <ianf@sydney.sgi.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 15bcd8e927e243a635f7efb6ea26696675bf50e34fda12f6d59bc29dd54c53b3
Message ID: <9412281230.ZM11016@wiley.sydney.sgi.com>
Reply To: <Pine.3.89.9412271944.F15684-0100000@nesta.pr.mcs.net>
UTC Datetime: 1994-12-28 01:39:30 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 27 Dec 94 17:39:30 PST

Raw message

From: "Ian Farquhar" <ianf@sydney.sgi.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 94 17:39:30 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Making sure a program gets to the receiver intact

On Dec 27,  7:14pm, Nesta Stubbs wrote:
> put it int he file that pops up from the FTP server when you switch to
> that directory, am not sur what the file is called, but like when you
> switch to the pub/Linux directory on sunsite, it gives youa  rundown of
> what Linux is and all.

The ftpd's that implement the directory-change messages is not a standard
one, and that functionality has been added to the servers which support it
(possibly Linux ships with wuftpd, but no commercial version of Unix I know
does.)  The extended servers are very widely available, and although they
do make ftp so much nicer to administer, they are not as widely deployed as I
would have expected by now.

						Ian.

Thread