1994-12-15 - Re: McCoy is Right! New Mail Format to Start Now.

Header Data

From: db@Tadpole.COM (Doug Barnes)
To: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Message Hash: 6657d786496f4a340c76675c94a144d225d6bd3a9ab45e5ff68917a391d07e23
Message ID: <9412152323.AA01634@tadpole.tadpole.com>
Reply To: <199412152227.OAA05100@netcom12.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-12-15 23:24:23 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 15 Dec 94 15:24:23 PST

Raw message

From: db@Tadpole.COM (Doug Barnes)
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 94 15:24:23 PST
To: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Subject: Re: McCoy is Right! New Mail Format to Start Now.

I actuallly sympathize with Tim's position and Eric's
earlier comments about adopting tools as as function of
ROI. I often experience somethign similar wiht "potentially
faster but non-deterministic time solutions," vs. "probably
slower but deterministic time solutions."

That said, I think that MIME, for all its implementation
difficulties, is going to be an attractor, if for no other
reason that the fact that there is an increasing demand for
_something_ to encapsulate all the divergent stuff that
people want to push and pull across the net, and MIME is
the standard for doing this. For instance, it is used to
encasulate html, and some advocate an expansion of its use
in conjunction with the web.

[Note that this does not make the various cock-ups that can
occur in conjuction with its expanding use in e-mail any less
annoying.]

I'm also curious what James is using on his Sun, as Sun's
mailtool (at least the version I have) is pre-MIME, but
MIME-ish, and can choke in amusing ways on MIME messages.

Doug

Thread