1995-01-05 - Re: Siegel and Lewis

Header Data

From: Michael Conlen <meconlen@IntNet.net>
To: Jonathan Cooper <entropy@IntNet.net>
Message Hash: b4d2cd1286f0bcd5e81f19e3f7bcaf0cb6b06227cac99e42abdd1015b21de636
Message ID: <Pine.SV4.3.91.950105171747.13888A-100000@xcalibur>
Reply To: <Pine.SV4.3.91.950104192503.17118H-100000@xcalibur>
UTC Datetime: 1995-01-05 22:44:10 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 5 Jan 95 14:44:10 PST

Raw message

From: Michael  Conlen <meconlen@IntNet.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 95 14:44:10 PST
To: Jonathan Cooper <entropy@IntNet.net>
Subject: Re: Siegel and Lewis

On Wed, 4 Jan 1995, Jonathan Cooper wrote:

> > is how can they regulate what private business and citizen's do with
> > there Fiber Optic's, ISDN lines, telephone lines, and computers. If the
>
>    They already do - look at the regulations on telcos, power companies,
> water companies, cellular/paging companies, lawyers, doctors, etc.

A big difference between the 'net and some of the above, is that the net
has been around in a very large presence (internatonaly) before the laws
are being introduced, where as paging and cellular service didnt exist.
As far as lawyers and doctors and lawyers, one of the big things the
government does is protect agianst quacks. Not to many people are going to
argue with this. The government wants to protect us from speech in the
case of the 'net, well there are quite a few people who are going to
stand up for their first amenment rights.

If you want your own communication service, you can buy it. weather you
use fiber based WAN's or go straight for satalite service, used by
companies such as Holiday Inn, or Circuit City. You can exchange any
information you want.

I think the important thing to remember is that net access is not a
right. My service provider has the right to give service to whom they
please, as long as race, sex, or creed are not deciding factors.

What goes across .gov and .mil computers is one thing, however what
commes across sprintlink's computers to my service proveder to my
computer is up to sprintlink, Intnet.net and myself. I dont care to read
racist comments, so I dont view them. If I want to download nudie gifs,
its my business, and right as stated under the First Amenment.

Thread