1995-01-23 - Re: jpunix.com and MX’ing

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@imsi.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: c93f82b4b0f2093cfe75b9116e3aa0baf64989cd74ead75b23d33033cdcab120
Message ID: <9501231517.AA11231@snark.imsi.com>
Reply To: <199501231457.GAA16462@largo.remailer.net>
UTC Datetime: 1995-01-23 15:18:26 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 23 Jan 95 07:18:26 PST

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@imsi.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 95 07:18:26 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: jpunix.com and MX'ing

Eric Hughes says:
> Another way to mask this is to give the remailer its own IP address.
> It's easy to recompile extra slip interfaces into a kernel; each gets
> its own IP address.  Routing the output of the remailer through these
> extra interfaces can require some hackery, though.  I only know about
> this second hand, but evidently the BSDI 1.1 release added some BSD
> 4.4 feature that makes this kind of IP hack much easier.

In 4.4 kernels, you just configure an alias address.

For, say, SunOS 4.1.X, John Ioannidis released a virtual interface
driver; I saw the thing posted to the net recently so I suppose its
public now (though I'm not sure J.I. knew that was going to happen.)
Its not hard to set such things up; no real trickery needed.

Perry

Thread