1995-09-21 - Re: “random” number seeds vs. Netscape

Header Data

From: Eric Blossom <eb@comsec.com>
To: karlton@netscape.com
Message Hash: 11e2c8d4083b1ece8460a88b583f3b6c3aa3e2d532ebef51cb6c333fa72d851e
Message ID: <199509212245.PAA15299@comsec.com>
Reply To: <43psn2$6ug@tera.mcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-09-21 23:02:11 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 21 Sep 95 16:02:11 PDT

Raw message

From: Eric Blossom <eb@comsec.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 95 16:02:11 PDT
To: karlton@netscape.com
Subject: Re: "random" number seeds vs. Netscape

> What I would like:
>
>     Any OS has access to a number of real-world physical sources of
>     randomness. This information is not made available to a user level
>     process. How long did that last seek take? Was there any noise on
>     the microphone? It would be good if the OS could gather that
>     information and make some set of bits available to any process that
>     asks. Having this be part of all OSes would make my job easier.

We've got a *real* hardware random number generator that was developed
for our secure phones.  If you are seriously interested, we can
glue the RNG onto the end of a serial port for you.  It generates
about 8000 bits of uncorrelated noise / second.

Eric Blossom
COMSEC Partners
707-577-0409

Thread