1995-09-22 - RNG Resource FAQ (was Re: “random” number seeds vs. Netscape)

Header Data

From: futplex@pseudonym.com (Futplex)
Message Hash: 506f7645abd378d08730263d6303b55ddc89ea7af8c8cffc0f8767cd1eadaae4
Message ID: <9509221043.AA08133@cs.umass.edu>
Reply To: <30609562.15FB@netscape.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-09-22 10:43:58 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 22 Sep 95 03:43:58 PDT

Raw message

From: futplex@pseudonym.com (Futplex)
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 95 03:43:58 PDT
Subject: RNG Resource FAQ (was Re: "random" number seeds vs. Netscape)

Perry Metzger writes:
# You might want to read RFC 1750,

Phil Karlton writes:
> Did that. It talks about a lot of the pitfalls. Unfortunately it does not
> address (nor can it realistically be expected to address) details of what
> to look for on a particular version of an OS running on some particular
> platform.

Can someone point me to a compilation of such information ?  If not, I'm
definitely interested in starting a Web page to chronicle recommendations
about good, bad, and questionable random and pseudo-random sources for
specific architectures and operating systems. (It could also include
information on special-purpose plug-in hardware RNGs.)

-Futplex <futplex@pseudonym.com>

Thread