1995-10-06 - Re: Certificate proposal

Header Data

From: tomw@orac.engr.sgi.com (Tom Weinstein)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: e1a7e2534effab0d9a5f7f801da680c050471187454451d4ac1c6a16908e4c53
Message ID: <199510061829.LAA04524@orac.engr.sgi.com>
Reply To: <9510021553.AA13756@tis.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-10-06 19:12:42 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 6 Oct 95 12:12:42 PDT

Raw message

From: tomw@orac.engr.sgi.com (Tom Weinstein)
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 95 12:12:42 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Certificate proposal

In article <DG0EzA.Gs5@sgi.sgi.com>, Hal <hfinney@shell.portal.com> writes:
> tomw@orac.engr.sgi.com (Tom Weinstein) writes:

>> Um, just a wild guess, but... your credit card number maybe?  (Well,
>> okay, its hash.)

> I may not have been clear: the certificate I was referring to was the one
> from Egghead, the one which I will use to make sure that I have a valid
> key for Egghead.  Such a certificate would of course not have my credit
> card number; it would probably have some information related to Egghead.
> My rhetorical point was that information would most plausibly be a NAME
> by which I would refer to Egghead.  I am still trying to understand how
> these proposals to take names out of the picture will apply to a
> commonplace situation like this one.

Yes, it seems I misunderstood you.  There would have to be some binding
between the key of the merchant and some identifying information that
would allow the user to verify the merchant's identity.  This could take
the form of a True Name for the merchant and a trusted CA.  Another
approach would take the form of an FQDN, an IP address and a trusted CA.
In this case the software would have to verify that the FQDN and IP
address match the URL and DNS lookup, respectively.  Unfortunately, this
also requires that any time the IP address changes that the merchant get
a new certificate.  Also, the CA must be checked to verify that the
certificate hasn't been revoked, or you run the risk of an attacker
getting the old IP address.

Does anyone see any other options?

--
Sure we spend a lot of money, but that doesn't mean    |  Tom Weinstein
we *do* anything.  --  Washington DC motto             |  tomw@engr.sgi.com

Thread