1996-01-27 - Anonymous trashing of Assassination Politics

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: cbd759f197599f6c767886b22cb005e601c638beaab89690b8d81d18363d654a
Message ID: <m0tg2Hl-0008zLC@pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1996 13:07:08 +0800

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1996 13:07:08 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Anonymous trashing of Assassination Politics

[on cypherpunks@toad.com]

At 01:54 AM 1/27/96 +0100, Anonymous wrote:
>Jim Bell writes:
>
>>While this would normally be my cue to offer up my "Assassination Politics"
>>idea, which (if presumed to be correct) would stabilize "anarchy" and
>>prevent "lawlessness and social disorder" (at least as normally seen by the
>>average reader) I think that under the circumstances that would be redundant
>>here.
>
>I'm not *sure* that your Assassination Politics trip is the worst piece of
tripe I've ever seen on the list, but if it's not, it's right up there.

I notice that you responded through an anonymous remailer, and didn't even
use a nym.  This is strange.  If anything, the people who criticize my idea
seem to be under the illusion that it is _I_ who should be embarrassed for
proposing it, and in fact vociferously promoting it.  "Those of you" who
object to it should be the ones who are "proudly" taking the "moral high
ground" and thus should be happy to identify yourself and defend your position.

Even if, arguably, you invented the fiction that you feared for  your life
trying to argue with people like me, nothing prevents you from developing a
stable nym and arguing your position using it, secure in the knowledge that
your body is safe from attack.  Your arguments would still be subject to
sudden death, however.

>Those of us who are anarchists

What?!?  You imply that you are an anarchist, yet you don't approve of a
system which might not only produce anarchy, but in fact in record time?
Well, EXCUUUUUUUUSE MEEEEEE!  Sorry to put you out of a "job."

> are often that way because we think the *means* the State uses are evil,
not to be excused by any amount of >mumbo-jumbo.

I think the state's ENDS are evil, too, not merely their MEANS.

>  And you gleefully propose to let us *all* in on the immoral game of
murdering those who annoy us >sufficiently.

Actually, if you followed my arguments carefully, you will notice that my
position is most accurately described by pointing out that I _could_not_
keep you from participating in this "immoral game", even if I wanted to.

For the record, I suspect some people who are total pacifists view the rest
of us, those willing use use violence to defend ourselves, as "immoral."

>I'll pass.

Others won't.

>You know, if I were constructing an agent provacateur, I'd want a persona
who's willing to be loudly clueless with ideas that show minimal or
non-existent awareness of basic human hopes and fears, like security from
random hit-squads.  I'd have him go on and on with his ideas, until
eventually they can splashed all over headlines and used to discredit the
whole realm of privacy protection.

Aha!  You're implying (actually, implying is an understatement here) that I
am an "agent provocateur."  Naturally, it would be useless to deny this
(although, for the record, I will deny it), because anybody who was
convinced of its truth wouldn't expect me to tell the truth anyway.

But hey, let's put it up for a vote.  How many people out there believe that
I am an "agent provocateur"?  C'mon people, don't be shy, you've seen my
prose.  What do the rest of you think?

>But no, I don't think you're an agent.

Good!  I'd hate to argue with a person who didn't realize I am SERIOUS.

>  More fool you, you're willing to do the government's disinformation work
for it without even thirty pieces >of silver or a 401K.

To be perfectly honest, I did a lot of soul-searching in early 1995 about
whether I should publicize my ideas.  No, it wasn't because I was AFRAID
that it might happen.  I _WANTED_ it to happen.  Every little bit.  Every
government on the face of the earth, to come crashing down in a heap.
Complete, total, absolute anarchy.  (But not the "anarchy" that most people
are pre-programmed to think of...)  No more governments, no more borders, no
more taxes, no more holocausts, no more wars, no more politicians.  Forever
and ever and ever.

Rather, I was fearful that by publicizing the idea, I might end up
PREVENTING it from occurring.  You know, by giving the governments advance
warning about what was going to happen, I might actually help them prevent it.

That worried me, a lot.  But eventually, I made my decision. After a huge
amount of thought that some day I might be inclined to relate.  However, if
I'd REALLY wanted to PREVENT this, I would have alerted the government
secretly, so that they could manipulate things behind the scenes, secretly,
to prevent this "crypto/digicash/internet anarchy."   _That_ I did not do.
I publicized it, allowed it to be criticized and therefore "perfected" (not
that it's "perfect, by any means!) it, and I'm now promoting it the best way
I know how.  And with all due modesty, it's getting a pretty good reception,
considering how extreme and drastic it initially might appear.

Part of my reasoning was that unless I engaged in the absurd conceit of
believing that I was, cumulatively, smarter than everyone currently in the
government, I had no choice but to conclude that the government was already
aware of the potential problem.  And if that were the case, they were, at
that very moment, working desperately to PREVENT what I wanted, desperately,
to ACHIEVE.

At that point, I made the choice of forcing the government's hand.

>At this point I recommend to you the 12-step program I explained to Vladimir.
>
>Signed,
>A Friend

Recommendation:  If you really want to be taken seriously, use your real
name or at the very least generate a stable nym.  Preferably, with messages
signed by the nym's public key.   Without it, you are a silly, unbelieveable
ass.  Even with it, you may STILL be a silly, unbelieveable ass, but at
least people would pay more attention to you.

Thread