1996-02-02 - Anti-Nazi Authentication [Was: Tim’s paranoid rant about Declan…]

Header Data

From: “Declan B. McCullagh” <declan+@CMU.EDU>
To: attila@primenet.com>
Message Hash: 0c4a4788c81cda4c42c1f6cd5204282be0fec202dfce784185c75de34558efc8
Message ID: <kl4PZOC00bkTMJBPdo@andrew.cmu.edu>
Reply To: <Pine.BSD.3.91.960202044001.18127A-100000@usr6.primenet.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-02-02 07:37:57 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 2 Feb 1996 15:37:57 +0800

Raw message

From: "Declan B. McCullagh" <declan+@CMU.EDU>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 1996 15:37:57 +0800
To: attila@primenet.com>
Subject: Anti-Nazi Authentication [Was: Tim's paranoid rant about Declan...]

Excerpts from internet.cypherpunks: 2-Feb-96 Re: Tim's paranoid rant
abo.. by attila@primenet.com
>         if you want to indulge in personal rants and vendettas, take it to
>     personal mail.  secondly, you are slamming someone without the
>     decency or courtesy to even copy him.

Yeah, I don't particularly enjoy rants, but I engage in them myself
occasionally, so I'm willing to cut Rich some slack.

We've since mended fences and we're working in the same direction. I had
thought his initial actions were slightly irrational, but now I know him
a bit better, I think.

Both of us are working in good faith, and that's what's important here.
In particular, the NeoNazi slime are really starting to piss of both of
us. Can anyone say "defamation," on this fascist's darling little page
at Georgia State: [ http://www.gsu.edu/~hisjwbx/ZUNDEL ]

>     This is a mirror archive of most of Ernst Zundel's holocaust
>revisionist site. I DO agree with his views. I ALSO
                     ^^                         ^^^^
>     agree with his right to express them. There is an apparent campaign
>of email and web bombing being launched
>     againt Zundel's site on Webcom, making it near-impossible to reach.
>Germany has forced Deutsche Telekom to
>     censor access to his site by URL. This mirror archive exists to
>demonstrate the folly and the danger of Internet
>     censorship.
>
>     Read more about these attempts at censorship.
>
>     -Declan McCullagh, declan@well.com, 1/29/96
       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Now, this guy copied that file from my web site. Fine -- it was up for
FTP. But editing my comments to *support* Neo-Nazis and leaving my name
is just fucking too much. I've sent him polite mail requesting a change.
We'll see what happens.

Cypherpunk relevance? Authentication for web pages. There's no reason
for a reasonable person to believe, at first glance, that I was *not*
the author.

Perhaps someone has suggested this before, but should a web browser's
functionality be extended to support authentication via an automated
PGP-type mechanism? Using comments, possibly. I guess I'm just pissed
over this attribution of Zundelscheistenviews to me, but has anyone else
run into such a problem?

(Legal threats and complaints to sysadmins are of course another
alternative...)

-Declan

Thread