1996-02-20 - Re: Internet Privacy Guaranteed ad (POTP Jr.)

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@piermont.com>
To: IPG Sales <ipgsales@cyberstation.net>
Message Hash: c5db1cadf65d7008d1d3beda2057acb415b2cad1ef0163768246bac6fb03fdb1
Message ID: <199602200137.UAA02295@jekyll.piermont.com>
Reply To: <Pine.BSD/.3.91.960219190832.5326E-100000@citrine.cyberstation.net>
UTC Datetime: 1996-02-20 04:05:06 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 12:05:06 +0800

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 12:05:06 +0800
To: IPG Sales <ipgsales@cyberstation.net>
Subject: Re: Internet Privacy Guaranteed ad (POTP Jr.)

IPG Sales writes:
> there is no need in talking in circles - You may think that you know
> everything there is to know about encryption, but believe me, there is
> a lot more for you to learn - I do not now what KDC's are,

Key Distribution Centers, the center of Needham-Schroeder and similar
key management protocols, like the Kerberos protocols. If you don't
know what these are, you have no business talking about the "problems
of key management" because you know nothing about the field of key
management.

> that is the differece between you and us - we know very little and
> want to know more you know everythinh there is to know - and do not
> need to know anymore

The difference between us is that you are pretending to be a doctor
even though you have no medical training and are about to go out and
butcher live patients, pretending that this is just business as
usual. Some of the rest of us have devoted many years to the study of
this field, which actually does have a substantial literature and lots
of skilled professionals. Anyone who says "We know very little" has no
business writing code and selling it to the public. You are doing
nothing less than putting your customers businesses at risk, and in
some cases their lives. You deserve the worst.

> I will not waste anymore of your time, or mine -

Don't worry. Whether we waste any of your time or not, I assure you
that people like me *will* lay waste to your company and its sales if
you are indeed peddling junk, which is the most obvious assumption to
make here. I personally am sick of companies such as yours pulling the
big con on ignorant customers. You have not heard the last of any of
this -- believe me. If the lot of you end up convicted of fraud it
will not surprise me. I repeat -- you have NOT heard the last of
this. As I said, I'm a libertarian. I believe it is up to the
community, not the government, to track down and stop the activities
of glorified con men such as yourselves. You *will* be stopped.

Perry

Thread