1996-03-28 - Re: About Triple DES ……

Header Data

From: Rich Graves <llurch@networking.stanford.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: da9ad88d8fdbe206349fda8c1d937f0087ce26dac3731743c79d4d69ecb1d439
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.92.960326221907.4439A-100000@elaine41.Stanford.EDU>
Reply To: <19960327040302.536.qmail@ns.crynwr.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-03-28 03:47:19 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 11:47:19 +0800

Raw message

From: Rich Graves <llurch@networking.stanford.edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 11:47:19 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: About Triple DES ......

On 27 Mar 1996 nelson@crynwr.com wrote:

> Um, what if Victor and www.cs.hut.fi are only connected on a path that
> traverses the United States?  Can a person be convicted of ITAR
> violations when they've never been in the U.S.?  :)

If neither endpoint includes US citizens or residents, or people working
on the behalf of US citizens or residents, no.

Very interesting hypothetical, though. I'm pretty sure that in this case,
it's a fact, not a hypothetical.

A more complicated hypothetical: if Victor told MCI/Sprint/whatever, the
news media, and the US authorities of his intent to download triple-DES in
this way, would MCI/Sprint/whatever be liable? Any cypherpunks in Latin
America? How about from Asia to Finland -- what does that route look like?
Something along the lines of that "Pastors for Peace" media hoax, which
is a perennial show of an attempt to deliver US goods to embargoed Cuba,
might be worth engineering.

At some point in this exercise, though, we might be "raising awareness"
among the wrong people, to cite Tim May. I wouldn't want NAFTA, the WTO,
and so on enforcing ITAR.

-rich

Thread