1996-04-27 - Re: The Joy of Java

Header Data

From: Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To: sameer@c2.org
Message Hash: 68936ed602522d7559aa0e2b41c514040dbce026f1daf359062bbcbddab4d348
Message ID: <Pine.SV4.3.91.960427003947.6962C-100000@cedb>
Reply To: <199604270040.RAA09526@atropos.c2.org>
UTC Datetime: 1996-04-27 11:47:00 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 19:47:00 +0800

Raw message

From: Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 19:47:00 +0800
To: sameer@c2.org
Subject: Re: The Joy of Java

On Fri, 26 Apr 1996 sameer@c2.org wrote:

> > I go further. Java, as envisioned, cannot be made secure. It is too
> > powerful a language. Furthermore, it is unnecessary for the tasks that
>
> 	Even though that is all it is used for now, I think it was
> *intended* to be used for more.

At Usenix 96 in San Diego it was pointed out that applets are an abberation.
This is a complete language designed to displace C++, Visual Basic and
other OO languages.  Thinking of Java as simpy a Web enhancement tool
is short sighted.

Personally it is more attractive than C++ for product development and
we are trying to get it on FreeBSD, SCO UnixWare and SCO OSR5.  Using
Java for applets _only_ is like fucking your mother... Most of us are
not into it.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow