1996-05-04 - Re: The Joy of Java

Header Data

From: Wei Dai <weidai@eskimo.com>
To: Victor Boyko <vboykod@eldorado.stern.nyu.edu>
Message Hash: 780efcc03162b15233235ef460dae3580582531200c864f654ba99fc711f40bf
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.93.960503140144.8904A-100000@eskimo.com>
Reply To: <9605031933.AA24575@eldorado.stern.nyu.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1996-05-04 06:33:01 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 4 May 1996 14:33:01 +0800

Raw message

From: Wei Dai <weidai@eskimo.com>
Date: Sat, 4 May 1996 14:33:01 +0800
To: Victor Boyko <vboykod@eldorado.stern.nyu.edu>
Subject: Re: The Joy of Java

On Fri, 3 May 1996, Victor Boyko wrote:

> I have been doing work in Java for the past half a year or so (most
> recent project: implementing SSL 3.0). I can't say I don't like it at
> all, but I like C++ much more. Here are my thoughts about the issue.
> Since there is a subjective component to choosing a programming
> language, flamewars are very likely to erupt when you say "Language A
> is much better than Language B", but it may still be interesting to
> read others' opinions.

I agree completely with Victor's analysis.  I usually try to avoid me-too
posts, but I've been meaning to write an explanation of why I haven't
started using Java and am not planning to port my Crypto++ library to
Java, so this saves me the effort.

Wei Dai

Thread