1996-04-29 - Re: PGP and pseudonyms

Header Data

From: Rich Graves <llurch@networking.stanford.edu>
To: Steve Reid <steve@edmweb.com>
Message Hash: e92fb116c11027b04abed83dac4c000306b301152e90f3e80ffcff9e76c07f53
Message ID: <Pine.GUL.3.93.960428201204.13032R-100000@Networking.Stanford.EDU>
Reply To: <Pine.BSF.3.91.960428165931.10757A-100000@kirk.edmweb.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-04-29 07:59:36 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 15:59:36 +0800

Raw message

From: Rich Graves <llurch@networking.stanford.edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 15:59:36 +0800
To: Steve Reid <steve@edmweb.com>
Subject: Re: PGP and pseudonyms

On Sun, 28 Apr 1996, Steve Reid wrote:

> > >this pseudonym. If this person's secret keyring were stolen, could
> > >person=pseudonym be revealed, based on the key ID? Or would it require
> > >knowing the passphrase?
[...]
> I guess pseudonymity(sp?) wasn't the main concern when PGP was created.
>
> I suppose a temporary fix would be to not use an ordinary PGP passphrase,
> but rather encrypt the whole secring.pgp file. Decrypt it when you need
> it, and be very careful to properly clean up when you're done.

Huh?

Just use multiple secring.pgp files, and toggle PGPPATH. What's the
problem?

I guess that wouldn't be so convenient on the Mac version, I guess, but
you could write an AppleScript to swap file/folder names.

-rich

Thread