1996-05-18 - Re: distributed keys

Header Data

From: Adam Shostack <adam@lighthouse.homeport.org>
To: msmith@rebound.slc.unisys.com (Matt Smith)
Message Hash: 74d2a77bf597a8e475725dcc265eeafef9a5f8a219398b718316a2864eec23bb
Message ID: <199605181807.NAA01201@homeport.org>
Reply To: <199605151447.OAA17650@rebound.slc.unisys.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-05-18 22:13:04 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 19 May 1996 06:13:04 +0800

Raw message

From: Adam Shostack <adam@lighthouse.homeport.org>
Date: Sun, 19 May 1996 06:13:04 +0800
To: msmith@rebound.slc.unisys.com (Matt Smith)
Subject: Re: distributed keys

Since no one seemed to mention them, check out Photuris and SKIP.
Both are key management proposals for IPsec.

Adam

Matt Smith wrote:

| Has anyone heard of an algorithm for managing keys automatically in a
| distributed system?
|
| For instance, if some low level security were to be implemented in a
| a networking stack where authentication was to be implemented, you would want
| to have each node have it's own signature so that signature checking can
| take place when one node connects to another node.  The trick is then
| getting every node's keys distributed to every other node.
|
| Here are some ideas that I had, but neither is very desireable:
|
| -  Manual distribution.  User configures every node's key into every node.
|    Configuration becomes a major hassle and mistakes are a pain to debug.
|    An advantagous side effect is the user can configure which machines can
|    talk to which machines if they're feeling particularly facist.
|
| -  At connection time, each node determines whether or not it has the other
|    node's key.  If not, a symmetric key is generated via DH and public keys
|    are exchanged.  The problem comes in if someone is spoofing the machine
|    to begin with.  Then you'll have the wrong public key.  Chicken, egg.
|    Egg, chicken.
|
| -  Having a certifying node which every other node has the public key to and
|    who has everyone else's public key.  Requests are made of this server.
|    The trick is making this server secure and forcing the user to devote
|    resources to this endeavour.
|
| Thoughts?
|
| --
| Matt Smith - msmith@unislc.slc.unisys.com
| "Nothing travels faster than light, with the possible exception of bad news,
| which follows its own rules." - Douglas Adams, "Mostly Harmless"
| Disclaimer:  I came up with these ideas, so they're MINE!

					               -Hume

Thread