1996-07-21 - Re: Responding to Pre-dawn Unannounced Ninja Raids

Header Data

From: Rabid Wombat <wombat@mcfeely.bsfs.org>
To: “Timothy C. May” <tcmay@got.net>
Message Hash: 1325c50e44a687f5ccd5779b471710c192d52a94bc5e77aff6d3815fb55d38b3
Message ID: <Pine.BSF.3.91.960721185855.18960B-100000@mcfeely.bsfs.org>
Reply To: <ae1574dc100210047571@[205.199.118.202]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-07-21 21:32:58 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 05:32:58 +0800

Raw message

From: Rabid Wombat <wombat@mcfeely.bsfs.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 05:32:58 +0800
To: "Timothy C. May" <tcmay@got.net>
Subject: Re: Responding to Pre-dawn Unannounced Ninja Raids

> I again ask what was so wrong with the "You are surrounded. Come out with
> your hands up." routine of years past. Instead of anonymous ninjas in
> paramilitary black raiding a house and shooting anything that moves, use
> some "due process."
>
> And "due process" is what it's about. Presentation of a warrant, or at
> least pretty careful announcement of identity. Blasting down doors without
> presentation of an arrest or search warrant is just not the American way.
>
> Are there circumstances that can ever justify no-warning attacks? I suppose
> so, such as when clear evidence of, say, a bomb-making or terrorist cell is
> invovled. Neither condition was met at at either Ruby Ridge or Waco, nor in
> the vast number of midnight drug raids.

"No Knock" warrants came about in effort to limit the ability of the
suspect to dispose of evidence - another result of the "war on drugs."
 - r.w.

Thread