1996-07-20 - Re: Responding to Pre-dawn Unannounced Ninja Raids

Header Data

From: David Sternlight <david@sternlight.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 79c8a92a12801fbd8299440b399e3ae586b06dbd088c502e7399ac9ce5046af0
Message ID: <v03007605ae1623952449@[192.187.162.15]>
Reply To: <ae1574dc100210047571@[205.199.118.202]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-07-20 08:27:53 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 16:27:53 +0800

Raw message

From: David Sternlight <david@sternlight.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 16:27:53 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Responding to Pre-dawn Unannounced Ninja Raids

At 1:49 AM -0700 7/20/96, Timothy C. May wrote:
>At 6:42 AM 7/19/96, snow wrote:
>>On Thu, 18 Jul 1996, Doug Hughes wrote:
>>
>>> If people break into my house with the element of surprise wearing
>>> all black in the middle of the night, they have the element of surprise
>>> FIRMLY on their side.. I'd have to believe that reaching for a gun
>>> was the most stupid thing I could do in the entire world in this sort
>>> of circumstance.
>>> "You'd be right, but you'd be dead" - Dr. SNMP
>>>  If you don't reach for a gun, at least you have the 'chance' for
>>> restitution on your side. If you're dead, you have no options.
>>
>>     If you are trained a certain way, you _are_ going to reach for
>>a weapon, and hell, at least then my kid will have enough money to go to
>>whatever college she wants.
>
>Snow is absolutely right! Surprised in the night, with no clear
>identification of the entrants (and yelled "Police!!" claims are used by
>home invaders, so I would not trust this anyway), a trained person will
>instinctively reach for his weapon.
>
>I again ask what was so wrong with the "You are surrounded. Come out with
>your hands up." routine of years past.

Probably something to do with flushing dope down the toilet, or destroying
evidence. Perhaps it's too much to expect them to disconnect the sewer line
and hit your interior with a water hose and an electricity cut-off before
raiding it.

David

Thread