1996-07-23 - Re: Netscape

Header Data

From: shamrock@netcom.com (Lucky Green)
To: Tom Weinstein <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 47fb3f38b338fd153c36178dd963624c76efa55783739f9b1f4d8e044593d646
Message ID: <v02120d04ae1763d7df01@[192.0.2.1]>
Raw Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 08:02:36 +0800

Raw message

From: shamrock@netcom.com (Lucky Green)
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 08:02:36 +0800
To: Tom Weinstein <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Netscape

At 15:27 7/20/96, Tom Weinstein wrote:
[Site distributing Netscape US elided. Thanks Alex. There was no wait.]

>Why not consider what the consequences will be?  Do you seriously
>believe that this will make the government stop enforcing ITAR?  Do you
>believe it will make them change the law?  No.  What it will do is make
>them remove our permission to distribute this stuff.

I doubt that. PGP has been distributed for years with less safeguards than
Netscape. It is available on more free-world sites than Netscape US. This
did not prompt the powers that be to force MIT to take down their site. The
feds know that it is impossible to prevent software that is available on
the net from being exported. Why would they harass Netscape once the
inevitable happens?

-- Lucky Green <mailto:shamrock@netcom.com> PGP encrypted mail preferred.
   Defeat the Demopublican Unity Party. Vote no on Clinton/Dole in November.
   Vote Harry Browne for President.

Thread