1996-07-24 - Re: Netscape

Header Data

From: The Deviant <deviant@pooh-corner.com>
To: Tom Weinstein <tomw@netscape.com>
Message Hash: 4d8418a05973d7a1adf027ce413114dbf5123e7da0fb2fa9521f6ee858a9c4c8
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.94.960723185632.973C-100000@switch.sp.org>
Reply To: <31F3E441.446B@netscape.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-07-24 09:30:40 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 17:30:40 +0800

Raw message

From: The Deviant <deviant@pooh-corner.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 17:30:40 +0800
To: Tom Weinstein <tomw@netscape.com>
Subject: Re: Netscape

On Mon, 22 Jul 1996, Tom Weinstein wrote:

> Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 13:27:45 -0700
> From: Tom Weinstein <tomw@netscape.com>
> To: Lucky Green <shamrock@netcom.com>
> Cc: cypherpunks@toad.com
> Subject: Re: Netscape
>
> Lucky Green wrote:
> > At 15:27 7/20/96, Tom Weinstein wrote:
> >
> >> Why not consider what the consequences will be?  Do you seriously
> >> believe that this will make the government stop enforcing ITAR?  Do
> >> you believe it will make them change the law?  No.  What it will do
> >> is make them remove our permission to distribute this stuff.
> >
> > I doubt that. PGP has been distributed for years with less safeguards
> > than Netscape. It is available on more free-world sites than Netscape
> > US. This did not prompt the powers that be to force MIT to take down
> > their site. The feds know that it is impossible to prevent software
> > that is available on the net from being exported. Why would they
> > harass Netscape once the inevitable happens?
>
> Well, for starters, the genius who put it out there put out a beta,
> which has an expiration date, instead of waiting for the final release.
> Secondly, millions of people don't use PGP.

Hrmm.. a few glimpses at a hex->machine code chart and a simple hex editor
should get past _that_ now shouldn't it?

> Also, notice the simple verification system MIT was allowed to use, and
> the complex one we're required to use.

I'm curious, exactly whop is it that _required_ you to use that system.?

> --
> You should only break rules of style if you can    | Tom Weinstein
> coherently explain what you gain by so doing.      | tomw@netscape.com

Style is standing up for what you beleive in.  Netscape obviously has
none, or they would be activly fighting the ITAR.

 --Deviant
Whatever occurs from love is always beyond good and evil.
		-- Friedrich Nietzsche

Thread